Today, I decided to make up for it.
By baking another cake.
This time, I chose to bake a Chocolate Malteser Cake because, well, I love Maltesers!! Maltesers contain a ton of malt and malt is just yummy.
To make this cake, I started by creaming butter and sugar until the mixture turned light and fluffy.
Into this, I added the eggs, one at a time, making sure to incorporate one egg before adding the next.
Then I added the milk, and beat that in too.
In a bowl I sifted the flour, cocoa and malt.
By this time, the batter would have looked like it had curdled.
Don't worry. Just add the flour mixture in 3 batches, and mix after each addition.
At the end you should have a smooth batter.
The batter was divided into two 8-inch round baking trays, and baked for about 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the thickest part of the cake emerged cleanly.
Once the cakes had cooled, I trimmed off the tops so they were flat.
Then I made the frosting.
Into a bowl, I added malt, cocoa and boiling water. I whisked the mixture to ensure the powder had dissolved. This was then set aside.
Into another bowl, I sifted icing sugar.
I added half of the icing sugar into a mixing bowl containing butter, and beat.
Once the mixture had turned creamy, I added the malt/cocoa/water as well as the remaining icing sugar. As soon as I got an even and smooth mixture, the frosting was ready.
I placed about half of the frosting on one cake, and the other layer on top.
With the remaining frosting, I frosted the top and the sides of the cake.
All that remained was to top the cake with the Maltersers (I left some whole and bashed the rest with a rolling pin).
And mess the sides up a little.
Finally, chill the cake until you are ready to serve!
Do you like my cake stand? It's so pretty and is great for serving any cake you make!
I have 2 of these stands to give away! To enter the giveaway, simply click complete the Rafflecopter giveaway below!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Giveaway ends on Wednes
day, October 16, 2013 at 12 Pacific
time. The winner will be selected by random.org and
contacted by email. If there is no response after 48 hours, another winner will
Chocolate Malteser Cake (Serves 8-10)
Adapted from Valerie Barret's "Cake Galore"
For the cake:
225g castor sugar
80g malted milk powder
50g cocoa powder
200g self-raising flour
4 tbsp milk
For the frosting:
250g powdered sugar
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
45g malted milk powder
125g softened butter
2 tablespoons boiling water
1 packet Maltesers, halved
For the cake:
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and line two 8-inch round cake tins.
2. Cream the butter and sugar until blended. Add the malted milk powder, cocoa powder, eggs, flour and milk, and beat together until smooth and creamy.
3. Divide the mixture evenly between the prepared tins, and bake for about 30mins, or until well risen and firm to the touch.
4. Cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
For the frosting:
1. Blend the boiling water, malted milk powder and cocoa powder together in a bowl, then set aside to cool. 2. In a separate bowl, beat the butter and half of the powdered sugar together until creamy, then add the remaining powdered sugar and the cocoa mixture until well blended.
3. Sandwich the two cakes together with half of the icing, then spread the remaining icing over the top.
4. Decorate with Maltesers around the sides of the cake.
I am submitting this recipe for Cook-Your-Books hosted by Kitchen Flavours.