My cabbage rice recipe is pretty standard. It really is my Mom's recipe. I use the ingredients that my mom uses, and I have not made any changes to it. Why fix something that doesn't need fixing right?
I sliced Chinese sausages (buy the good ones), rehydrated Shitake mushrooms (reserve the soaking liquid) and lean pork (which I seasoned with light soy sauce, sesame oil, white pepper and corn starch). These were set aside. I also soaked some dried prawns in hot water to soften them.
Cabbage Rice (Serves 4-6)
3 cups rice, long-grained, washed and drained
300g lean pork, seasoned with 1/2 teaspoon light soy sauce, 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil, a dash of white pepper and 1/2 teaspoon corn starch)
1 Beijing cabbage, cut into wedges
2 Chinese sausages, thinly sliced
6 pieces dried Shitake mushroom, rehydrated and reserve liquid, and thinly sliced
50g dried prawns, soaked in hot water and drained
3 cups water (or water + liquid from soaking mushroom)
1 teaspoon light soy sauce
2 teaspoons dark soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
2 teaspoon minced garlic
1. Heat oil in wok, saute garlic for 30 seconds. Add dried cook, stir-fry for 1 minute.
2. Add pork and cook until the meat turns white. Add Chinese sausage, mushrooms and rice.
3. Add light and dark soy as well as pepper. Stir to mix. Transfer to bowl of rice cooker.
4. Add mushroom water (and water if insufficient). Place cabbage on rice. Cook.
5. When rice has been cooked for 3/4 of the cooking time, stir the cabbage into the rice mixture.
6. Garnish with chopped chives or spring onion and serve hot.