Each time I looked at it, I'd think, "Oh yes! I got to make this!" but then something would come up and I would forget.
Why, oh why, had I not make this earlier?
The cake is moist, as most olive oil-based cakes are, and although there wasn't a strong taste of Nutella, it was still really yummy.
Let me show you how to make this cake.
Add Nutella, egg yolks and sugar into a mixing bowl.
Top the cake with raspberries (or any other toppings you prefer), and sprinkle a little icing sugar on top, if you like.
The very fantastic folks at Tovolo would like to give away a set each of the Tovolo Star Pop molds and the Groovy Pop Molds with 2 readers of The Domestic Goddess Wannabe! To participate in the giveaway, click on the pictures below!
Nutella Olive Oil Cake (Serves 8-10)
Loosely adapted from Gourmet Magazine
For the cake:
1 cup (100g) cake flour
3/4 cup (180ml) olive oil (or extra-virgin olive oil)
5 egg yolks
1/2 cup (50g) caster sugar - I used 40g
1/3 cup (90g) Nutella
2 teaspoon (10ml) lemon juice
For the meringue:
4 egg whites
1/4 cup (60g) caster sugar
1 teaspoon salt
To garnish (optional):
1 punnet (250g) raspberries
1-2 tablespoons icing sugar, sifted
1. Add Nutella, egg yolks and sugar into a mixing bowl.
2. Beat at high speed until the mixture is thick and pale.
3. Add the olive oil and lemon juice and continue beating at medium speed for about 2 minutes.
4. Add the cake flour, and using a spatula, mix until the flour has been fully incorporated.
5. In a clean mixing bowl, add the egg whites and salt. Whisk until the mixture is foamy and add the sugar gradually.
6. Continue whisking until the egg white just hold soft peaks, about 3-4 minutes.
7. Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the batter. There is no need to be gentle - just beat it in.
8. Gently fold the remaining egg whites into the batter, until the whites have been fully incorporated.
9. Pour the batter into a greased and lined 9-inch Springform pan.
10. Lift and tap the pan gently a few times to release the air bubbles.
11. Bake at 180°C for 45-50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center of the cake emerges cleanly.
12. Top the cake with raspberries (or any other toppings you prefer), and sprinkle a little icing sugar on top, if you like.