I was really in the mood to cook something different, something I had not tried before.
I knew that I had a piece of chicken breast sitting in the fridge, waiting to be used. So I looked around for a recipe that involved the use of chicken.
I really loved this combination, and to top it all, the dish was really easy to cook!
Into a bowl, add the diced chicken, minced garlic, fish sauce and curry powder.
Stir to coat the chicken evenly. Set this aside.
Heat wok over high heat. Add the oil and once the oil is hot, add shallots, lemongrass and chili.
The very fantastic folks at Tovolo would like to give away a set each of the Tovolo Star Pop molds and the Groovy Pop Molds with 2 readers of The Domestic Goddess Wannabe! To participate in the giveaway, click on the pictures below!
Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken (Serves 4-6)
Adapted from rasamalaysia
2 tablespoons fish sauce
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tablespoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 pounds (650g) boneless, skinless chicken breast/thigh, cut into bite-sized pieces
3 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons cooking oil
2 fresh lemongrass stalks, tender inner white bulbs only, minced
1 large shallot, thinly sliced
3 chilies, seeded and minced
1 spring onion for garnishing
1. Into a bowl, add the diced chicken, minced garlic, fish sauce and curry powder.
2. Add salt and 1.5 tablespoons sugar.
3. Stir to coat the chicken evenly. Set this aside.
4. In a small heavy-bottom saucepan, add two tablespoons of sugar and a tablespoon of water. Whisk over high heat until all the sugar has dissolved.
5. Continue to cook, without stirring, until it caramelizes.
6. Remove from heat immediately and stir in the remaining water.(Be careful as the mixture may splutter.) Transfer the caramel to a small bowl and set this aside.
7. Heat wok over high heat. Add the oil and once the oil is hot, add shallots, lemongrass and chili.
8. Stir-fry this until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
9. Add the chicken and the caramel.
10. Stir-fry until the chicken is cooked through.
11. Garnish with spring onion and serve with rice or lettuce.