My first thought when I saw these cupcakes was WOW!!
Haha, am I getting predictable? Maybe just a bit.
In fact, I was chatting with my girlfriends and my hands started itching. Seriously!! I just had to go back something, and this recipe was on top of my to-list!
This is a one-pot bake. Yes! Everything gets thrown into a mixing bowl, and once mixed, you just have to mix in whatever colours you like and bake them!
Wonderful, is it not? :D
So, I started by placing the softened butter, flour, sugar, eggs, milk and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl.
In one bowl, I added cocoa powder and milk.
The last bowl contained the original batter.
Swiss Meringue Buttercream tinted with a little pink food colouring.
There you go.
Magic Marble Cupcakes (Makes 15)
Adapted from Donna Hay
1 1/2 (225g) cups self-raising flour, sifted
3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar - I reduced this to 130g
125g unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup (80ml) milk - I used whole milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
pink food colouring
1 tablespoon cocoa powder, sifted - I used Valrhona
1 tablespoon milk, extra
Sprinkles, for decoration
1. Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F).
2. Place the flour, sugar, butter, eggs, milk and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium speed for 6 minutes or until pale and smooth.
3. Divide the batter evenly among three separate bowls.
4. Add one or two drops of pink food colouring to one bowl and mix well to combine.
5. Add the cocoa and extra milk to another bowl and mix well to combine.
6. Place tablespoons of each mixture in each of the cupcake liners. Give the tray a few light shakes to level the batter.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
8. Place on a wire rack to cool completely.
9. Frost with buttercream and top with sprinkles, if desired.